IE8 problem

Recommend this page to a friend!

Glint effect  >  All threads  >  IE8 problem  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:IE8 problem
Summary:IE8 -2 errors
Author:Scott Purnell
Date:2011-09-23 15:25:40
Update:2011-09-23 17:02:27

1. IE8 problem   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Scott Purnell Scott Purnell - 2011-09-23 15:25:40
Cool little app. Couple of probs though!

For both the simple_example and jquery example throws error
"Your browser doesn't support canvas"

2. Re: IE8 problem   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Arturs Sosins Arturs Sosins - 2011-09-23 17:02:27 - In reply to message 1 from Scott Purnell
Hi,
yes, glint effect requires HTML 5 support, because it uses canvas to draw glint. IE8 doesn't support canvas, that's why glint object calls onerror callback function, which in both examples is to alert visitors. In deployment version it would be better to use nothing or hide element, or whatever you feel like.

I was thinking about fallbacks to older browsers and I've done some experiments. In total I've come up with 3 solutions, but they all have some drawbacks:

Draw div element per pixel
Pros: It is crossbrowser and you can easily apply angle, orientation etc.
Cons: It's not efficient and slows computer pretty badly

Use gradients from transparent to color and back to transparent for each line
Pros: It is more efficient and doesn't slow your computer
Cons: It is not crossbrowser (main issue is with IE)

Use images (on pixel height gradient images maybe)
Pros: Best performance and completely crossbrowser
Cons: Not configurable, angle, orientation or color, can be changed by changing image

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to experiments.

Conclusion: None of three approaches are good enough to use them as fallback for older or incompatible browsers, thus it will be like with most of CSS3 and HTML5 feature, use it as enhancement for new browsers, and they won't trouble older ones (they simply won't see an effect)